Re: Classes Considered Harmful

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:52:44 -0700
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, <www-archive@w3.org>
At 08:41 PM 7/7/2001 , Aaron Swartz wrote:
>This is a flaw in (the current version of) XHTML. Because it does not allow easy extensibility via namespaces, developers are forced to use the class attribute to get a poor approximation. I think that semantics and accessibility would be better served if XHTML did things a different way.

If you're thinking that designers wouldn't just create <blue> tags
or color attributes, then you're hopelessly naive and/or deluded,
friends.

Classes in XHTML aren't inherently wrong or "harmful", but of course
you can construct abuses of them, just like you can construct abuses
of XML.

--Kynn

AWARE Center Director                    http://www.awarecenter.org/