RE: WebOnt General Requirements Subgroup - Initial E-mail

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:34:29 -0000
To: "Jeff Heflin" <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>, "Deborah McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>
Cc: <ned.smith@intel.com>, <jeremy_carroll@hp.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <connolly@w3.org>, <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, <herman.ter.horst@philips.com>, <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, <www-archive@w3.org>
My views Y(es)/N(o)/?(undecided), justifications follow.

?
?
> 						ontology-based search
> 						ontology querying

================
Justifications of Ns & ?s
-------------------------
N> data persistence
N> security
N> xml interfaces
?> internationalization

are part of the metadata layer of semantic web architecture (RDF), not part
of the ontology layer. RDF might not offer adequate answers yet but the
problems should be fixed there.
There may be internationalization issues that are part of the ontology
layer; but most i18n is in the metadata layer.

N> ontology-based search
N> ontology querying

I think these are later work. I would expect standardization of metadata
layer query to precede that of ontology layer query. There is no sign of
metadata layer query standardization so I think WOW-G should duck ontology
query standardization.

?>user-friendly

"If you want friendly get a dog"
The language is for machine to machine communication. Friendliness is for
apps on top of it.

Jeremy