RE: WebOnt General Requirements Subgroup - Initial E-mail

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:09:50 -0600
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "Jeff Heflin" <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>, "Deborah McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>, <ned.smith@intel.com>, <jeremy_carroll@hp.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <connolly@w3.org>, <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, <herman.ter.horst@philips.com>, <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, <www-archive@w3.org>
>================
>Justifications of Ns & ?s
>-------------------------
>N> data persistence
>N> security
>N> xml interfaces
>?> internationalization
>
>are part of the metadata layer of semantic web architecture (RDF), not part
>of the ontology layer.

I fail to follow this distinction. (I know it is taken from the
'layer cake' slide. I fail to follow it there as well.) RDF, for
example, is surely a (simple) ontology language. Do y'all have some
idea that metadata is somehow distinct from , and more primitive
than, ontology? (?? In what sense?)

>RDF might not offer adequate answers yet but the
>problems should be fixed there.

Maybe xml and internationalization (maybe), but I don't see any way
to isolate security and data persistence issues from the ontology
'layer', wherever that happens to be.

>There may be internationalization issues that are part of the ontology
>layer; but most i18n is in the metadata layer.
>
>N> ontology-based search
>N> ontology querying
>
>I think these are later work. I would expect standardization of metadata
>layer query to precede that of ontology layer query. There is no sign of
>metadata layer query standardization so I think WOW-G should duck ontology
>query standardization.
>
>?>user-friendly
>
>"If you want friendly get a dog"
>The language is for machine to machine communication. Friendliness is for
>apps on top of it.

I tend to agree with that sentiment, though I doubt if it will fly
with the DOH (ontology equivalent of DPH)

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes