RE: WebOnt General Requirements Subgroup - Initial E-mail

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:09:50 -0600
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "Jeff Heflin" <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>, "Deborah McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>, <ned.smith@intel.com>, <jeremy_carroll@hp.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <connolly@w3.org>, <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, <herman.ter.horst@philips.com>, <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, <www-archive@w3.org>
>Justifications of Ns & ?s
>N> data persistence
>N> security
>N> xml interfaces
>?> internationalization
>are part of the metadata layer of semantic web architecture (RDF), not part
>of the ontology layer.

I fail to follow this distinction. (I know it is taken from the
'layer cake' slide. I fail to follow it there as well.) RDF, for
example, is surely a (simple) ontology language. Do y'all have some
idea that metadata is somehow distinct from , and more primitive
than, ontology? (?? In what sense?)

>RDF might not offer adequate answers yet but the
>problems should be fixed there.

Maybe xml and internationalization (maybe), but I don't see any way
to isolate security and data persistence issues from the ontology
'layer', wherever that happens to be.

>There may be internationalization issues that are part of the ontology
>layer; but most i18n is in the metadata layer.
>N> ontology-based search
>N> ontology querying
>I think these are later work. I would expect standardization of metadata
>layer query to precede that of ontology layer query. There is no sign of
>metadata layer query standardization so I think WOW-G should duck ontology
>query standardization.
>"If you want friendly get a dog"
>The language is for machine to machine communication. Friendliness is for
>apps on top of it.

I tend to agree with that sentiment, though I doubt if it will fly
with the DOH (ontology equivalent of DPH)

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax