RE: WebOnt General Requirements Subgroup - Initial E-mail

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:45:02 -0000
To: "Jeff Heflin" <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>, "Deborah McGuinness" <dlm@ksl.stanford.edu>
Cc: <ned.smith@intel.com>, <jeremy_carroll@hp.com>, <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, <connolly@w3.org>, <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, <herman.ter.horst@philips.com>, <hendler@cs.umd.edu>, <www-archive@w3.org>

Jeff:

>             I sometimes find myself wavering between whether we
> should develop general use cases or core requirements.

I think the other groups are doing the use case thing, and that we should
make the most of taking a different approach, and being up front about that.

I thought Jeff's
> SUPPORTED TASKS:
> Which use cases (or classes of use cases) will benefit from this
> requirement?

adequately captured the need to ground hypothetical requirements in reality,
but we should resist the urge to end with output that pretends to reverse
the direction of our thinking.

In particular this would suggest that if we think a requirement is needed
for one of the other use-case groups we should not do much work on it; and
concentrate our efforts on the gaps between the other groups.

Jeremy