Re: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:40:06 +0200
To: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>, <www-annotation@w3.org>, "HTML WG" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
From: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
> You can't follow [xhtml 1.0] guidelines and have a valid XHTML 1.1.
document
> (Guidline C.7 creates an invalid document.)

You can. A document with no lang= or xml:lang= would not contradict
guideline C.7. (You can use the http headers to express the content
language).

> so the simple Appendix C guidelines are not sufficient.

You didn't ask if *all* xhtml 1.1 documents could be served as text/html.
But even HTML 4 says that unrecognised attributes should be ignored, so an
xml:lang attribute doesn't do any actual harm.

> The HTML WG have obviously already solved
> this http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/ is served as text/html - could you
> make public how you solved it?

To my knowledge there is nothing in that document that precludes it from
being served as text/html, with the exception of the closing slash quirk
which is the basis for being able to serve any XHTML document as text/html.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton