Re: Orphaned annotations

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

> > Not a problem.  A hash on a string comprising the (lowercase) names of
> all
> > elements in a DOM - separated (eg) by space - will do nicely.
>
> All HTML 4.01 elements? perhaps to cope with elements which different
> parsers may ignore, for example IE places a <moomin> element into the DOM,
> and I don't believe Mozilla would.

Erm, you lost me.  Surely you can set the parser NOT to generate
extraneous gunk?

> > Text content and attributes should be ignored: changes to these might
> > slightly shife a pointer, but won't invalidate it to the point of
> > becoming totally wrong and/or misleading.
>
> I still think it might be worth adding id's or href's or something as
> changes of these do indicate changes of substance of the document,
> although that's perhaps something more for other areas.

I don't think so.  They indicate change which may affect the annotation,
but won't invalidate the XPointer to it.  As for links, flagging when
they've changed is a separate issue.  Maybe we can use annotea for that,
but it's not what the present proposal is about.

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>