Re: Orphaned annotations

Hello Matthew,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:14:10PM +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> At 17:22 18/03/02 +0000, you wrote:
>
> ... which isn't really true - eg do HTML4 tables contain an implied <tbody>
> element if it isn't explicitly present in the document? From memory,
> Annozilla says yes, and Amaya says no.

That's correct. Amaya does add that element when it's missing. However,
as we can't be sure that all browsers normalize HTML in the same way,
we decided to not take into account the internal added elements when producing
an XPointer. On the other hand, if everyone normalized HTML in the same way,
then, for a valid HTML document, we could have an XPointer working.

Note that the XPointer spec says specifically that it cannot be used
with non XML documents. We have left this option open in Amaya for the
moment, but I'm not sure if we should continue doing so. On the one
hand, if you only point to well formed XML documents, you are sure that
other browsers can construct the same tree. However, for HTML you need to
have a valid document. Not all browsers construct their internal DOM
tree in the same way. An XPointer to an HTML document made by one application
may not be interpreted in the samw way by another application.

So, here's an open question to all of you, what do you want to do with this?
Just point to XML documents? Or shall we (meaning the people in this list)
propose a mechanism that allows to solve this problem?

-jose