Re: Orphaned annotations

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:05:26 -0000
To: <www-annotation@w3.org>
"Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com>
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>
> >  From a purely selfish point of view, can I add a requirement:
> >
> > * The hash can be computed from the element using standard ECMAScript
and
> > DOM methods.
>
> Not a problem.  A hash on a string comprising the (lowercase) names of
all
> elements in a DOM - separated (eg) by space - will do nicely.

All HTML 4.01 elements? perhaps to cope with elements which different
parsers may ignore, for example IE places a <moomin> element into the DOM,
and I don't believe Mozilla would.

> Text content and attributes should be ignored: changes to these might
> slightly shife a pointer, but won't invalidate it to the point of
> becoming totally wrong and/or misleading.

I still think it might be worth adding id's or href's or something as
changes of these do indicate changes of substance of the document,
although that's perhaps something more for other areas.

Jim.