Re: Annotea JavaScript client for IE

From: Claus Augusti <caugusti@formatvorlage.de>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:00:18 +0200
To: <www-annotation@w3.org>
Hi Manos,

> Apologies for the possibly naive question, but I am still too busy to
> study the annotea systems in depth so...
> In the hypothetical situation of using browser sniffing and providing
> the relative code (in IE's case, yours) will there be any problems on
> different browsers annotating the same documents?
Yes, during testing I discovered some problems that I didn't expect. It's
about implicit elements, which are inserted by the Browser while parsing the
doc, e.g. Amaya adds a <tbody> to a table body, even if it's not explicitly
there, IE doesn't. Practically this means, that you can't annotate a table's
content element if the path doesn't contain an id attribute defining element
before tbody. Actually this makes selection level annotations pretty useless
on not properly coded documents. Any ideas? On the other side, I assume this
situation not to occur very often, which other elements could be inserted
implicitly?

> Finally, are you planning on distributing your code under a license?
Yes, I'll license it asap under a free license like GPL when I finished
cleaning, I'll provide an archive then and post a msg here.

> Kindest regards,
>
> Manos

Best,
Claus