Annotation working group

From: Bryan Thompson <bryan@cog-tech.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 09:59:14 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-annotation@w3.org, annotate@cog-tech.com
Hello,

Is there an active annotation working group?  I understand that Wayne
Gramlich was chair of a working group on collaboration and annotation,
but I can not find any current information on that effort.  Evidently
Wayne was associated with Sun and with the Foresight institute (which
paid for the development of CritSuite, an fine-grained annotation system
for the Web).

I am interested in creating an open source project to develop an
fine-grained annotation server and I would like to get a sense of who
might be already involved in such efforts.  I am interested in a project
that can scale efficently up to very large communities and that provides
flexibility in the semantics of the annotation markups.  To my
understanding, the existing open source annotation server efforts do not
meet these criteria (e.g., crit.org,
http://eon.law.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/annotate/main.cgi, etc.).

I am also interested in standards for annotation interchange, and in the
use of annotation to facilitate collaborative cognition within
issue-focused communities.

Thanks,

-bryan thompson
bryan@cog-tech.com