Re: Current Support

I agree that Amaya is «an excellent work done by Laurent, Irene &
others’ team».

It is not «the one and only truly WYSIWYG HTML editor». BlueGriffon is a
very good modern true WYSIWYG HTML editor; Amaya was much more than
that, editor + browser with special attention to the norms of the W3C et
cetera, but as editor BlueGriffon does the job nicely.

HTML is somewhat structured but not completely and it has never been.
For example, there are no subdivisions: a clever human being might guess
that what comes under a h2 is a subdivision of a certain level until the
next h2 (like in a book, a real —paper— book, a subdivision is supposed
to go from a title to the next looking more or less of the same level),
but there is no tagging of the subdivision as such. You may use a div
for such a subdivision, but it is not compulsory and indeed unusual in
HTML. This makes HTML in a way a paradigm of unstructured documents! If
you think structured documents you have to write in DocBook for
technical documents, better in TEI
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_Encoding_Initiative) for general
documents (afterwards converting the XML to HTML, PDF of whatever if
needed). (I have been a user of Amaya, but today I write all important
parts of my website in TEI first.)

--

Dominique Meeùs.