Re: automatic replacement: entities and applet stuff

From: pfb42 <pf.buonsante@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:12:17 -0800 (PST)
To: www-amaya@w3.org

Hi Helder,

 and thanks again for your simpathy and your assistance

Helder Magalhães wrote:

> [...lots of blank lines...]
>
> [...]
>
> I can't tell the difference between the two applet code: aside from
> blank lines (only containing tabs), they are the same! ;-)
>
> Even if Amaya messed up whitespace nodes (something which apparently
> is happening, at least from a set of recent threads), that shouldn't
> cause browsers to fail.

No wait, there must be something wrong with the way you are visualizing
my message. I'm posting from the web and, I guess, you're reading the
mailing list
through your email client.
There must be a glitch somewhere, because some bits of my post disappear
in the process.
What you refer to as "blank lines" is not blank at all: it is a long list
of parameters for the java applet. I have protected this markup as suggested
in the relevant instruction set, by using the "raw" tag
(http://old.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=41).
Actually, I do see the whole markup, and no blank lines, in the relevant
webpage

http://old.nabble.com/automatic-replacement%3A-entities-and-applet-stuff-td27294237.html#a27615417

So what happens is, in a nutshell,  that amaya moves all of the applet
"parameter"
tags above (outside) the opening "applet" tag. I think that this matters,
and both  explorer
and firefox fail to show the applet correcty.

If I open the html file using a text editor other than amaya and restore the
original line order
(the parameter lines _after_ the opening applet tag), everything works
again.
Even amaya sometimes leaves the ordering intact. As I mention, I do not know
what triggers
this behaviour. It is similar to the "problem" with the entities: at some
point (perhaps when saving)
amaya takes initiative and "improves" my code.

Thanks again for your help

Francesco