Re: automatic replacement: entities and applet stuff

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:32:59 +0000
To: pfb42 <pf.buonsante@gmail.com>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
Hi Francesco,

> I'll try... Unfortunately I'm mourning the loss of my
> laptop's hard-disk, along with a significant amount of data,
> so bear with me for the lack of precision.

Sorry to hear, that's always a pain... :-|

> The typical "applet stuff" looks like this"
>
> <applet name="ggbApplet" code="geogebra.GeoGebraApplet"
> archive="geogebra.jar"
> † † † †codebase="http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/3.2/unsigned/"
> † † † †width="738" height="512" MAYSCRIPT="true">

[...lots of blank lines...]

> Sorry, the GeoGebra Applet could not be started. Please make sure that Java
> 1.4.2 (or later) is installed and active in your browser (
> http://java.sun.com/getjava Click here to install Java now )
> </applet>

[...]

> Nevertheless, from time to time, Amaya shuffles the order of the above
> markup like
> this (If I recall correctly)
>
> <applet name="ggbApplet" code="geogebra.GeoGebraApplet"
> archive="geogebra.jar"
> † † † †codebase="http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/3.2/unsigned/"
> † † † †width="738" height="512" MAYSCRIPT="true">
> Sorry, the GeoGebra Applet could not be started. Please make sure that Java
> 1.4.2 (or later) is installed and active in your browser (
> http://java.sun.com/getjava Click here to install Java now )
> </applet>

I can't tell the difference between the two applet code: aside from
blank lines (only containing tabs), they are the same! ;-)

Even if Amaya messed up whitespace nodes (something which apparently
is happening, at least from a set of recent threads), that shouldn't
cause browsers to fail.

> I mean, I'm pretty sure this is the "new order" amaya forces. With such
> order
> both explorer and firefox do not display the applet correctly.
> I †was not able to determine what triggers this behaviour, nor I'm able to
> reproduce the experiment
> at the moment, since I had not the time to reinstall amaya and look into
> this, yet.

OK, take your time and, whenever you can pin-point the thing a bit
further, just post a follow-up. :-)

> Please be patient.
> Thanks a lot
> Francesco