W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-amaya@w3.org > January to March 2010

Re: automatic replacement: entities and applet stuff

From: pfb42 <pf.buonsante@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:03:25 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <27608702.post@talk.nabble.com>
To: www-amaya@w3.org


Helder Magalhães wrote:
> 
> Yup, just change the document encoding to "ASCII". You will find
> (recent!) related posts and background information by crawling for
> that in the mailing list archives. ;-)
> 
> On the other hand, note that the behavior shouldn't be seen (IMHO) as
> annoying but as an Amaya feature. It's just making your life easier!
> (Displaying the characters is much easier than parsing HTML entities,
> right?) ;-)
> 

Yes, I see your point, but I seem to be unable to get the same behaviour
from explorer and firefox. I mean, as far as entities/accented characters
are concerned. 
Probably it's just me, I need to look deeper into the stuff you mention
and into page encoding in general. 
I wonder whether "forcing" the language/encoding as described 
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/dirlang.html#langcodes here 
would work for me. I'll try that.


Helder Magalhães wrote:
> 
> I find this weird and, honestly, couldn't figure out the big
> difference between the two which would lead browsers to work/fail.
> Could you detail on this a little and paste a the complete markup
> (cleaned up, perhaps)?
> 

I'll try... Unfortunately I'm mourning the loss of my
laptop's hard-disk, along with a significant amount of data,
so bear with me for the lack of precision.
The program producing the applet tags is called "geogebra"
(www.geogebra.com). 

The typical "applet stuff" looks like this"

<applet name="ggbApplet" code="geogebra.GeoGebraApplet"
archive="geogebra.jar"
	codebase="http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/3.2/unsigned/"
	width="738" height="512" MAYSCRIPT="true">
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
Sorry, the GeoGebra Applet could not be started. Please make sure that Java
1.4.2 (or later) is installed and active in your browser (
http://java.sun.com/getjava Click here to install Java now )
</applet>

Actually the first tag of the "real" output  is like this 

<applet name= ... MAYSCRIPT>

but Amaya complains about it. I found out that it is supposed to be like
this

<applet name= ... MAYSCRIPT="true">

and actually Amaya seems to like it this way.
Nevertheless, from time to time, Amaya shuffles the order of the above
markup like
this (If I recall correctly)


	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
	
<applet name="ggbApplet" code="geogebra.GeoGebraApplet"
archive="geogebra.jar"
	codebase="http://www.geogebra.org/webstart/3.2/unsigned/"
	width="738" height="512" MAYSCRIPT="true">
Sorry, the GeoGebra Applet could not be started. Please make sure that Java
1.4.2 (or later) is installed and active in your browser (
http://java.sun.com/getjava Click here to install Java now )
</applet>


I mean, I'm pretty sure this is the "new order" amaya forces. With such
order
both explorer and firefox do not display the applet correctly.
I  was not able to determine what triggers this behaviour, nor I'm able to
reproduce the experiment
at the moment, since I had not the time to reinstall amaya and look into
this, yet.
Apologies for the long markup and the lack of precision. Should you need the
entire web page,
you can look  http://www.polito.it/QDBF/PFB/GEOGEBRA/limiti_1_1.xhtml here .
Please be patient.
Thanks a lot
Francesco
-- 
View this message in context: http://old.nabble.com/automatic-replacement%3A-entities-and-applet-stuff-tp27294237p27608702.html
Sent from the w3.org - www-amaya mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Received on Tuesday, 16 February 2010 14:03:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:53:42 UTC