RE: unzip gz'ing amaya source

From: Sami Lempinen <ssl@sci.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:52:24 +0300 (EET DST)
To: cfk@pacbell.net
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
Greetings,

On 23-Sep-97 Charles Krinke wrote:
>I have the 'amaya-src-1_1a_tar.gz file' (14mbytes). I then downloaded a
>copy of 'gzip.exe' from a gnu archive (116K, 20 Aug 1993) and invoked it
>in the same subdirectory as the .gz file as 'gzip -d -N
>amaya-src-1_1a_tar.gz' and what I got was a single file 33mbytes in
>size, it does appear to have source code in it, but it is all one file.
>What am I doing wrong? Please help me understand the procedure to
>uncompress this .gz file so I can get started understanding amaya.

The .tar.gz extension indicates that the file is both tarred and gzipped, so
you need tar as well.

With GNU tar, you can do

% tar xvzf foobar.tar.gz

without uncompressing it first. With conventional tars, do

% gzip -d foobar.tar.gz
% tar xvf foobar.tar

HTH,

Sami.

               Sami Lempinen * ssl@sci.fi
   http://www.sci.fi/~ssl/ * http://www.snowman.sci.fi/
         * Incoming mail filtered using NoCeM-E *
             "Friends don't su(1) friends."