Re: Checkpoint 1.1, priority 1

"M. Schoch (PIXEL-Media)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we want to check our website for accessibility and so we are using your
> guidelines.
>
> Now we have the following question:
> Checkpoint 1.1, textequivalent for images.
> For the navigation on our website we have implement two possibilities. At
> the top we have buttons (images with a rollover effect) and at the bottom we
> have normal text-links. So that the page is fully functional for sighted or
> blind people.
>
> But checkpoint 1.1 recommend to use the alt-tag for the images, which we
> haven't set.
>
> Our question is now, are the text-links also seen as a textequvalent for the
> image-buttons like the alt-tag, so that we will be conform with checkpont
> 1.1?

Hello,

First, thanks for making your site more accessible!

It is my opinion that strictly speaking, you have satisfied 1.1 because
you have provided a text equivalent for the image links at the bottom
of the page. However, users won't necessarily know this. They will come
across the images at the top of the page and wonder what their role
is. If you don't provide alt text, they may think they are missing out
on something. So, I recommend putting alt text for the role of the
image links anyway.

 - Ian

> Best regards,
>
> Michael Schoch
> PIXEL-Media

Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783