Re: Presentation of examples in Quick Start Tips

Hi Shawn,

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 22:26, Kevin White <kevin@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> * I started to say for Alt 3, just remove the "EXAMPLE" on each, but then I see that it wouldn't differentiate the caption from the example. I envision:
>> ** All of the Example on a single background block, probably including the main Examples heading.
>> ** A separator line under the caption. I think with good spacing & formatting & color, you could make it not look like a link.
>
>> Would you be up for trying a mockup of that?
>
> I can have a look at this and see what I can come up with. In the interests of disclosure, I don’t know that putting everything on the one block will help the general presentation as I think it may start to look too blobby and that it will lose the coherence of the individual examples.

I have had a look at this and come up with:

Comments:

• Brings all the examples together
• Works ok in mobile view
• Examples heading now has to be indented
• When the caption splits over two lines the underline makes it more prominent
• Difficult to pull out relationship between examples (significant in this case but not always)
• This approach will simply not work for some examples, for others it means there is more space taken up on the page with empty grey
• This is one example, looking at it in the whole page results in big blocks of grey for each of the examples
• Might reduce the relationship of ‘Learn more’ with the rest of the tip.

Personal view:

• [strong] I really do not like using underlines. They seriously interrupt the flow and grab a lot of attention.

Kevin