Re: Presentation of examples in Quick Start Tips

Hi Shawn,

> On 18 Aug 2015, at 21:55, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> wrote:
>
> Please also see my comments and suggestions in GitHub: <https://github.com/w3c/wai-quick-start/issues/89 <https://github.com/w3c/wai-quick-start/issues/89>>, and note especially: "One thing I think we can do to help is to put all of the example -- including the heading and captions -- on a background -- like in the Tutorials, e.g.:<http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/informative/#images-used-to-label-other-information <http://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/images/informative/#images-used-to-label-other-information>>
> I'll say I'm [high-medium] on that.”

Noted. Although, I want to emphasise again that the Tutorials have the advantage of being a standalone resource with a coherent design strategy. Being able to lift and shift design solutions from the Tutorials to the core WAI design is not often that straight forward an option.

> * I support having as little headings and captions as feasible, avoiding duplication, and also providing sufficient explanation. Alt 2 seems way too unnecessarily wordy.
> * For Alt 3, can't you just add a few words and cover all the bases?
> ** Inaccessible instruction -> Inaccessible instruction uses color only
> ** Accessible instruction uses color and symbol
> ** Inaccessible question -> Inaccessible question uses color only
> ** Accessible question uses numbers to refer to objects -> Accessible question uses color and numbers

I guess my general concern with the captions is that they need to explain a little bit about why this example is inaccessible or accessible. And it needs to do so in a way that is clear to a complete novice. That does necessitate more words, although I consciously sought to keep things to a minimum.

I am not sure what you mean by ‘can’t you just add a few words and cover all the bases’. Can you clarify at all?

> * I started to say for Alt 3, just remove the "EXAMPLE" on each, but then I see that it wouldn't differentiate the caption from the example. I envision:
> ** All of the Example on a single background block, probably including the main Examples heading.
> ** A separator line under the caption. I think with good spacing & formatting & color, you could make it not look like a link.

> Would you be up for trying a mockup of that?

I can have a look at this and see what I can come up with. In the interests of disclosure, I don’t know that putting everything on the one block will help the general presentation as I think it may start to look too blobby and that it will lose the coherence of the individual examples.

> RE> "• Might additionally benefit from index for the examples, so ‘Example 1:…’, ‘Example 2:…’, etc. Although if there is only one example, this may look a little silly"
> um - in the case where there's only 1 examples, then you'd just use "Example:" right?

Might do… or I might just go for the silly option ;)

Thanks

Kevin