Re: Real world example of destructive onfocus

Aaron,
You are basically asking that checkpoint 9.3 [1] be either removed from the
document or reduced in Priority.  We discussed reducing the Priority of
checkpoint 9.3 at last weeks telecon.  I think the questions you raised are
important for the group to discuss further, since this is a new requirement
on the document.

1. Do we have examples of access to content that this feature would be of
benefit?
The current thought of the working group seems to be that any script may
cause accessibility problems if it is automatically executed, so we want
some way to control the execution of scripts without having to turn them
all off.  We don't have any examples of how this particular techniques
would solve an existing accessibility problem.  This is probably a good
idea if we are going to require developers to add a feature.  The problem
could be the start of a test suite for conforming to the user agent guidelines.

2. Last week people felt that main reason for reducing the Priority of this
checkpoint, the ability to turning off all scripts (checkpoint 3.4) and
query the event handlers associated with an element (Checkpoint 9.6), would
make the elements inactive and therefore people could may not be able to
navigate to them.

3. Your question of not moving focus as an undue burden for developers.
How hard is it to just disable event handlers that related to focus moves?
We actually want the focus to be on the event handler, so that the user can
interact with it manually.

Thanks for you comments Aaron,
Can you come to the telecon on Thursday?

Jon

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010309/#gl-navigation