RE: Navigation without side-effects

Yes, but Aaron mis-represented the function asked.  It is not that the focus
doesn't go to the element.  It is that the onFocus response doesn't fire right
away when this happens.  Think of it as anaesthesia, or the interpolation of a
process step.

The desire is to break the instantaneous and automatic link between the state
transition where an element gains focus and the firing of a nominally onFocus
event response.

It is an adjusted protocol for the response to the action, not a change in the
action.  The element truly gains focus, as defined by the stable rules about
where keyboard events act, etc.

A possibly appropriate technique would be to instantly display a confirm
dialog
gating the onFocus response, when one places the focus on an element for which
there is such a response defined.

Al