W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2001

AGENDA: W3C User Agent Teleconference (extra) 22 January

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:00:45 -0600
Message-Id: <4.3.1.2.20010119115800.0332d7f0@staff.uiuc.edu>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
WAI UA Extra Teleconferece for January 22nd, 2001
NOTE: Different phone number!!!

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Monday, 22 January 2001
Time: 2:00-3:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA
Call-in: Tobin Bridge (+1) (617) 252-7000

Agenda

Review Open Action Items

Announcements

    1.Next User Agent face-to-face meeting in Boston on 1-2 March 2001

Discussion

    1.Update on joint meetings at all working group meeting

    2.Issue 389: Conformance: Hard to test conformance in an objective 
fashion.
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#389
      Status: I wrote the reviewer with clarifications and asked for 
comment. No response yet.
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0038.html
      Proposed resolution by IJ: We have reduced some of the conformance 
requirements as a result of the reviewer's comments. We have worked very hard
      on this conformance scheme and rejected a number of others. If the 
reviewer has specific suggestions, we will consider them.

    3.Issue 443: Checkpoint 1.4: Device indepdent access to pointer (mouse) 
specific events.
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#443
      Status: The document currently requires emulation of mouse-specific 
controls by virtue of our requirement that the user must be able to do 
everything
      through the mouse.
      Discussion:
      a) Do we want to require the UA to repair device-specific bindings 
specified by the author?
      b) Do we have evidence that the ability to simulate mouse events 
through the keyboard benefits the user?

    4.Issue 448: Checkpoint 5.7: Is CSS read-only or read/write? [This is 
checkpoint 5.9 in the 13 January 2001 draft.]
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#448
      Comment: The reviewer's comment was "Is this section referring to 
viewing the page or editing the page? Why would a user need to access the 
CSS when viewing a document?"
      Proposed resolution by IJ: Make this requirement read-only access. - 
We already require that a conforming user agent allow the user to select 
and apply user style sheets (checkpoint 4.15 in 13 Jan 2001 draft). - We 
require that the user be able to operate the user agent through keyboard 
alone. - Therefore, the user should be able to apply user style sheets 
through the conforming UA's user interface. ATs do not need to write to 
user style sheets through an API. Can people suggest a scenario where the 
AT would need to write to the conforming user agent's user style sheet 
through an API?

    5.Issue 450: If UA is implemented in Java, what system conventions 
should it follow?
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#450

    6.Issue 451: Checkpoint 2.6: Generalize to decorative content, not just 
null alt
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#451

    7.Issue 452: Checkpoint 2.2: Review minimal requirement (three options?)
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#452

    8.Issue 453: Checkpoint 3.5: Generalize to "programmatic objects"
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#453

    9.Issue 454: Checkpoints 3.6/3.7: Should these be Priority 1?
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#454

   10.Issue 455: Guideline 4: Change to "Ensure user control of presentation"?
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#455

   11.Issue 456: Editorial: Need to clarify in section 3.2 that we do not 
mean system APIs
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#456

   12.Issue 457: Checkpoint 5.4: Ambiguity about what exactly required: 
standard APIs only?
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#457

   13.Issue 458: Do link highlighting requirements apply to all zones of an 
image map? What is required granularity?
      Source: http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#458

Open Action Items

    1.IJ: Add these resolutions for issue 324.
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0098.html

    2.IJ: Add IJ proposed checkpoint for character set API support for 
issue 324
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0098.html

    3.IJ: Ask Philippe Le Hegaret about read only suport for DOM style 
module and alert the WG
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0098.html

    4.IJ, EH, AG: Propose new definitions forterms in question 
(equivalence, text element, etc.)

    5.IJ and EH: to review the definition of "presentation" to possibly 
drop URI-dependencies.

    6.IJ and EH: Work on definition of "animation" that identifies 
"animated image" as a special case. Also talks about script effects, style 
sheets effects, markup
      languages as being able to create animations. (Blinking not part of 
animations...?)

    7.JG: Talk to Al Gilman at the next WAI CG meeting about a joint 
meeting with UA, PF, and Voice WG (or participants) to discuss 
accessibility issues.
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0083.html

    8.JG: Send screen shots of directional techniqes
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0083.html

    9.JG: Implementation information for guideline 2

   10.JG: Propose text for the techniques document about synthesized speech 
implementation issues. Notably UA and AT wanting to use the same synthesizer
      engine.

   11.JG: Create issue list for things that need to be addressed in the 
next version of the document

   12.DP: Send information about tools that allow mouse binding reconfiguration
      Source: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0083.html

   13.GR: Review checkpoints in Guideline 10 for implementation information

   14.GR: Talk to AFB about captioning and positioning (deadline 1/18/2001)

   15.JA: Review checkpoints in Guideline 4 for implementation information

   16.MQ: Send more details about control of speech parameters for the 
techniques document based on OpenBook. (deadline open)

   17.KB: Submit technique on providing information on current item and 
number of items in search


Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua
Received on Friday, 19 January 2001 12:58:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 14:49:29 UTC