RE: (Action) Issue 394: Proposed revision to checkpoint 2.1

See comments below.

EH:

The term "recognized" seems out of place above, perhaps due to a problem
with the definition of "recognize". It seems to me that presenting some
default view of content is part of what it means to "handle" information and
is therefore part of what it means to "recognize" information.

Also it is not clear whether the term "recognized" above is intended to
mean: "(including recognized equivalents, recognized attributes, recognized
style sheets, etc.)". Regardless of how this issue is clarified, one
wonders, why is access limited only to "recognized" information.... Don't we
want similar access to things that are _not_ recognized?

What seems to be missing from checkpoint 2.1 and from recognize is this
notion of distingishing between data intended for human consumption and data
that is not.

Maybe the way you are handling all this is as good as we can do at this
time...

I keep wondering if the definition of recognize needs to be changed to
indicated that a user agent "recognizes information when it can (1) handle
it according to specification and (b) render it in a document source view".
This would remove from checkpoint 2.1 the burden of referring to document
source view at all in checkpoint 2.1....

It may be that we cannot resolve this one nicely until we tie down the
equivalency issue... As you may recall, in my latest proposals regarding
equivalency, I leaned on the definition of 'recognition' (e.g., by obliging
the user agent to recognize content (alternatives) as equivalents).

29 Dec version:

Recognize
A user agent is said to recognize a piece of information when the user agent
developer has designed it to handle that information. A user agent
recognizes those features of markup or style languages that it implements
and the behavior of the user interface controls that it provides. User
agents may not understand everything the author has encoded in content, such
as the semantics of XML elements unknown to the user agent, whether the link
text and link title accurately describe the linked resource, whether a
sentence (that has not been specially marked up) is a text equivalent for an
image, or whether a script is calculating a factorial. A user agent does not
recognize everything that a script does, even though it may implement the
scripting language. However, it will recognize some information encoded in
scripts, such as code to open a viewport or retrieve a resource from the
Web. The Techniques document [UAAG10-TECHS] lists some markup known to
affect accessibility that should be recognized by user agents.

EH: