Re: Proposal: Merge checkpoints about text foreground and background colors (4.3/4.4)

At 2001-01-02 08:49-0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>Ian,
>Sounds fine to me.
>
>Jon
>
>... Ian:
>>I propose the following formulation of the merged
>>checkpoints (a little easier to read, I think):

Ian: is it your intent for the user to do it page-by-page if only some
author-specified choices are objectionable? If so, this seems to place
an unnecessary aggravation on that user.

>><NEW>
>>Allow the user to configure the foreground and background
>>color of all text, with an option

   to set the default choices

>>to override foreground
>>and background colors specified by the author or user agent

   omit the following "defaults"

>>defaults.
>>Allow the user to select from among the range of
>>system colors.
>></NEW>

OK, though I believe that "user to configure" should include ability to
provide the override to replace any author-specified or user-agent default,
rather than page-by-page, as the checkpoint suggests to me.

Another nit: "domain" of system colors, from which a choice is made.
My training suggests that "domain" applies to the definition of available
values for a function, and that "range" applies to result.
In color-space, "gamut" may be the word you seek.

To avoid the issue:
Note: Allow the user to select defaults from among the available system
colors, preferably chosen from among the "safe 216" choices that are
generally available: (0 3 6 9 B E) for each of three Red-Green-Blue primaries.

>>  "Checkpoints for visually rendered text (content accessibility)"

Good.

>>--
>>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>
>Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP