Re: [last call, S1] exception for "out of my control"

Al Gilman wrote:

> [This part of the document is a little unstructured.  Bear with me.  This
> comment pertains to the final bullet in the inner bullet list in section 3.3.
> where it says]
>
>           + The checkpoint requires control of content properties (e.g.,
>             video or animation rate) that the subject cannot control
>             (e.g., the format does not allow it) or does not
>             [594]recognize (e.g., because the property is controlled by a
>             script in a manner that the subject cannot recognize).
>
> This exception is dangerously broad.  This is a barn door through which any
> and
> all requirements could be waived.  It should be reconsidered.

Note: The WG has been favorable to eliminating
these provisions. We have already considered it once and decided
to keep it (refer to issue 317 [1]).

This exception clause seems, on the surface, entirely reasonable:
if you cannot do something because a format does not allow it, you
are not required to do it.

One way to narrow the scope would be to indicate which checkpoints
to which this provision is meant to apply.

 - Ian

[1] http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#317