[last call, S1] exception for "out of my control"

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:27:58 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
[This part of the document is a little unstructured.  Bear with me.  This
comment pertains to the final bullet in the inner bullet list in section 3.3.
where it says]

          + The checkpoint requires control of content properties (e.g.,
            video or animation rate) that the subject cannot control
            (e.g., the format does not allow it) or does not
            [594]recognize (e.g., because the property is controlled by a
            script in a manner that the subject cannot recognize).

This exception is dangerously broad.  This is a barn door through which any
and
all requirements could be waived.  It should be reconsidered.

Al
--
Usage in headers.  Comments in response to the last call request for comments
have been classified S1, S2, or E based on the following rough scale:

S1: Substantive matter of the first (highest) criticality or importance to the
mission of the document.  The standard set is ineffective, the document is
self
contradictory, etc.

S2: Substantive matter of a somewhat lower criticality.  The document is hard
to comprehend, does not align well with related WAI documents, etc.

E: Editorial matters.  Not regarded as substantive.

Re:

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

W3C Working Draft 23 October 2000

   This version: