[last call, S1] exception for "out of my control"

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:27:58 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
[This part of the document is a little unstructured.  Bear with me.  This
comment pertains to the final bullet in the inner bullet list in section 3.3.
where it says]

          + The checkpoint requires control of content properties (e.g.,
            video or animation rate) that the subject cannot control
            (e.g., the format does not allow it) or does not
            [594]recognize (e.g., because the property is controlled by a
            script in a manner that the subject cannot recognize).

This exception is dangerously broad.  This is a barn door through which any
all requirements could be waived.  It should be reconsidered.

Usage in headers.  Comments in response to the last call request for comments
have been classified S1, S2, or E based on the following rough scale:

S1: Substantive matter of the first (highest) criticality or importance to the
mission of the document.  The standard set is ineffective, the document is
contradictory, etc.

S2: Substantive matter of a somewhat lower criticality.  The document is hard
to comprehend, does not align well with related WAI documents, etc.

E: Editorial matters.  Not regarded as substantive.

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

W3C Working Draft 23 October 2000

   This version: