Re: lynx

Lynx doesn't have any way of dealing with dynamic Web content. It doesn't
have a particularly good way of understanding information in a table (unless
you add tablin to it). It has a few other problems as a browser.

On the other hand it is a good indicator of whether a site meets a certain
number of accessibility requirements.

And happens to be the browser I use as an everyday browser - we choose
between sets of problems when we choose browsers...

Cheers

Charles

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Daniel Dardailler wrote:

  > I've been looking at the UAAG last call for lynx (2.8.3 but my
  > comments apply to lynx in general as a tty browser).

  [Snipping everything bug the conclusion]

  > OK, so lynx do not get even A, because of lack of support for HTML4
  > stuff and lack of DOM support.

  That is correct. Of course, that doesn't mean Lynx isn't
  useful, and it may even be very accessible when used in
  conjunction with assistive technology. Here's our disclaimer
  from section 3:

    "Note: Conformance to the requirements of this document is
     expected to be a strong  indicator of accessibility, but it is
     neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for ensuring the
     accessibility of software. Some software may not conform to this
     document but still be accessible to some users with disabilities.
     Conversely, software may conform to this document but still be
     inaccessible to some users with disabilities."

  I am pretty sure that people probably agree that Lynx should
  be praised as a tool that makes content accessible to many people.
  However, shouldn't Lynx implement the accessibility features
  of HTML like other browsers? As for the DOM requirements, the
  WG has reinforced their presence in the document several occasions.

   - Ian

  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-UAAG10-20001023/#Conformance

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France