RE: Raw notes from Martin Duerst / Ian Jacobs UAAG/I18N discussion

Ian Jacobs wrote:
> Charset information
> IJ: If it affects everyone equally, then we have a convention
>     not to include such requirements in such a document.

I'm not sure what's the exact context of that discussion, but if it is on
the importance of having (correct) charset info, I think it is an
accessibility issue, esp. for people with cognitive diabilities.  Having to
understand that a page displayed as garbage can be fixed by pulling an
Encoding menu and trying out each entry therein (and choosing the most
probable ones) may be beyond the capabibilities of many.  Same, to a lesser
degree perhaps, for people whole have (physical) trouble manipulating menus.
And if a screen reader spits out garbage, how do you know to fix the
encoding if you can't see the garbage displayed on the screen?

> MD: If you know what "fr" means but don't have resources
> to handle it (e.g., a dictionary), that's one thing (e.g.,
> you can ask the user if using the italian dictionary you
> do have is ok).

Or better, offer to download appropriate resources (such as recent browsers
do for fonts when encountering a new language).

> IJ: We've avoided the term "script" in this context to
> avoid confusion with "scripting languages".

"Writing system" could do instead.  Not an exact synonym, but probably close
enough for the purpose.

--
Francois Yergeau