Re: proposed re-wording of Ian's 2.7

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:36:06 -0500
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Kitch Barnicle <barnicle@trace.wisc.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
As I posted in my earlier message [1] I think the only way to prevent
disorientation is not rendering the text and indicate the absence of
rendering.   Remember this is only a priority 3 checkpoint.

I suggest:
<NEW>
2.7 Allow the user to configure the user agent so that content recognized
as an unsupported natural language is not rendered (suppressed) to the
user.  Instead the user agent must indicate the absence of the original
content in context (e.g., with a text message or with an icon, analogous to
the common "missing image" message)

Note: For example, if the user agent does not have a font available to
render Japanese, render "[Japanese text]" (in an appropriate natural
language) instead. Or use an accessible icon that indicates an unsupported
language.
</NEW>

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0093.html

MC-574