Re: AERT Technique 13.6.1 and the WCA:UA agreements of yore

I think I am just slightly keener on people recognising that they need to use
map than you are...

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Al Gilman wrote:

  At 12:18 AM 2000-07-19 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >My thoughts and recollections, vague as they may be
  >
  >No, I think GL is correct - it is to identify for user agents (ie through
  >markup such as map). We have asked for both handling of map, and the more
  >general structural navigation you speak of.

  I am quite likely alone in my particularly pharisaical interpretation of
  what was agreed to in the joint meeting as regards "use MAP for related
  groups of links."  The clause "when you need to add a grouping element" was
  probably a loophole that I was perceiving and quite possibly nobody else.

  I did bad things for the WAI interest in a similar way when the namespaces
  Rec went by and I placed a stricter interpretation (less constraining) on
  what it said than the proponents understood.  Their interpretation was what
  they promoted in public as for example on xml-dev and that leaves us with
  the conflicts exposed on xml-uri.  I should have dealt with what they
  thought the language meant, and protested more strongly at the time.

  As you can tell from my message to the CG, I think that the best way to
  seek a good agreement that we can stick with into the future is to take
  Wendy's hint and view this as "in the light of what has transpired in UA
  since, it is worth revisiting this question."  Hope this works for people.

  Al