Re: AERT Technique 13.6.1 and the WCA:UA agreements of yore

(this topic has been distributed among a few recent threads but I'll insert
my 2 cents into this branch)

As for using MAP to define sets of links... there's a problem...

What happens if you have a link hierarchy, e.g. a series of headings each
of which  is a link, and each of which has a list of links
underneath  (e.g. the Yahoo home page).  How does map apply?

If we wrap the whole thing in a single map, we lose the hierarchy and
flatten it all into one pile of links

Can we wrap the whole thing in a MAP, and then also wrap each indivisual
list in a MAP? No can do.

For one thing, it doesn't validate... either by my reading of HTML 4.01 or,
more importantly, by the w3c validator.

And even if it did validate, what would it mean?

It seems the way to address this is to use DIV's and existing structure
(cf. Al's remarks at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2000Jul/0032.html

Otherwise we lose the structure.

Now, that leaves the problem that the semantics, viz that this is "a set of
links", is not machine readable.  But even if we had MAP, there would still
be plenty of semantics that are not readable.  For example, if we had a
page with lots of sets of links, where's the main navigation bar?  And
there are other semantic units that have nothing to do with links.... e.g.
"main section" "news" etc. that we often see. So MAP would address only a
part of all the semantics that are needed anyway.  That means we do one of
the following, seems to me:

1. waiting for XML
2. defining conventions for class names  (hey, we accept D links)
3. defining conventions for titles  (well, I gotta have a third alternative)

As you might guess, my vote is for 2, defining conventions for class
names.  I realize this was discussed in WCAG and it didn't fly, but perhaps
it's time to reconsider.

Note that even if we wait for XML, that just postpones deciding on the
semantic units.  So why not figure them out now, stick them in class for
the time being, and then re-use them when XML arrives.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)  (800) 750-7428 (TTY)

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/