Re: WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19991105 review

Takuya ASADA wrote:

> Sorry for my late reply. I sent my email to wrong addres...
>
> In my opinion, this guidline is too ideal for mobile browsers,
> and many checkpoints are strongly oriented some graphical
> browsers on desktop PC. Mobile browsers vendors should make
> effort to satisfy some checkpoints, but many of them are
> impossible, or not proper for mobile browsers.
>
> I think it's better to describe how mobile (or other some kind
> of) browsers treat this guideline.

Hi Takuya,

Thank you for taking time to review the Guidelines. We have
discussed recently clarifying (for example in the Abstract)
that the Guidelines are primarily intended for graphical
desktop browsers. Mobile devices can still conform, however.

There is an important provision in the
document that says that some checkpoints don't "apply" under
certain conditions. It would be very useful to the Working Group
if you  listed the checkpoints you felt did not really apply for
mobile devices.

Of course, we hope that developers of user agents on mobile
devices wish to make their software accessible and the principles
in the Guidelines are meant to apply to most user agents. If
a user agent developer finds that most checkpoints don't apply,
then they can still conform, but the claim would be less
meaningful if, for example, more than half of the checkpoints
didn't apply.

Any comments you have on improving the document or how some changes
might make the document easier to use by mobile device developers,
please send them to this list.

Thank you again,

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814