Re: WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19991105 review

One important applicability requirement is operating system and hardware
capability. For example, there are operating systems (such as DOS, which is
actually still rather widely used, esecially in the disability community) and
hardware such as mobile devices and braille devices which do not have a
capacity to render different fonts or colours. There is therefore no point
requiring a user agent which works on such platforms to have the capacity to
handle those features.

Charles McCN

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Takuya ASADA wrote:

  > Sorry for my late reply. I sent my email to wrong addres...
  >
  > In my opinion, this guidline is too ideal for mobile browsers,
  > and many checkpoints are strongly oriented some graphical
  > browsers on desktop PC. Mobile browsers vendors should make
  > effort to satisfy some checkpoints, but many of them are
  > impossible, or not proper for mobile browsers.
  >
  > I think it's better to describe how mobile (or other some kind
  > of) browsers treat this guideline.

  Hi Takuya,

  Thank you for taking time to review the Guidelines. We have
  discussed recently clarifying (for example in the Abstract)
  that the Guidelines are primarily intended for graphical
  desktop browsers. Mobile devices can still conform, however.

  There is an important provision in the
  document that says that some checkpoints don't "apply" under
  certain conditions. It would be very useful to the Working Group
  if you  listed the checkpoints you felt did not really apply for
  mobile devices.

  Of course, we hope that developers of user agents on mobile
  devices wish to make their software accessible and the principles
  in the Guidelines are meant to apply to most user agents. If
  a user agent developer finds that most checkpoints don't apply,
  then they can still conform, but the claim would be less
  meaningful if, for example, more than half of the checkpoints
  didn't apply.

  Any comments you have on improving the document or how some changes
  might make the document easier to use by mobile device developers,
  please send them to this list.

  Thank you again,

  Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814

--Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org  phone: +61 409 134 136
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                    http://www.w3.org/WAI
21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia (I've moved!)