[...] and a question to the group

At 12:01 PM 11/1/99 -0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:

>I do have one question for the group related to author specified input
>information, or more specifically related to the accesskey
>discussion.  Since a user agent trying to satisfy 11.1 may make it
>difficult or impossible to determine what bindings are related to author
>specifications, does the group want to add a checkpoint to the Guidelines
>8: "Help Orient the User " at a priority 3 level to allow the user to view
>only author specified input information from a resource that the user agent
>recognizes?  Since author information is probably the most dynamic input
>information, right now, as a user moves between different WWW resources.

In addition to this technique, there are some related techniques to consider.

Distinguish the following classes of user input bindings:

  - bindings which are in effect and agree with the shipping defaults for
the base browser
  - bindings which are in effect but differ from the shipping defaults
  - bindings which are in effect for this document only (subset of previous
class)
  - bindings no longer in effect because they have been overridden

In association with local (e.g. this page only) and off-default bindings,
provide information about how to work around the override.

Note that user support personnel, particularly remote support personnel,
will need the "departures from shipping defaults" view for orientation.

The above classes may be distinguished by displayed properties in a
combined presentation as well as by filtering to present only a restricted
class.

Al