Re: Suggested editorial amendment

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 01:35:21 -0400
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Perhaps - I didn't recall that happening (but I haven't checked the minutes)

I don't recall it either. I think that what the current draft says is:

1) Assistive technology is a general term that includes software and
hardware.
2) Dependent user agent is one type of AT that depends on other UAs for
input
   (and some rendering?)

I'd like AT to appear in the glossary and in the introduction once (as
the
umbrella for Dependent UAs). After that, dependent UA should appear
everywhere
else.

 - Ian

> Charles
>
> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
>
>   aloha, charles!
>
>   i thought that that was something agreed upon in redmond and reconfirmed at
>   wednesday's telecon, right?
>
>   gregory.
>
>   Charles McCN wrote:
>   >use the phrase "assistive technology" instead of "dependent user agent" more
>   >or less every time the latter currently occurs.
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>   ASPERSE, v.t.  Maliciously to ascribe to another vicious actions
>   which one has not had the temptation and opportunity to commit.
>                            -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
>   --------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Gregory J. Rosmaita  <unagi69@concentric.net>
>   Camera Obscura       <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html>
>   VICUG NYC            <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>
>   Read 'Em & Speak     <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/books/>
>

> --Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@w3.org
> phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
> W3C Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/WAI
> MIT/LCS  -  545 Technology sq., Cambridge MA, 02139,  USA

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814