Re: 27 August drafts of User Agent Guidelines/Techniques Available

I'm not fussed by either word. I think that the checkpoint actually expresses
the requirement of the further proposed checkpoint, which I therefore suggest
is redundant and can be dropped.

Charles McCN

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:
  "Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

  > aloha, ian!
  >
  > checkpoint 10.6, as prosed by me [1], amended by Len Kasday [2], and adopted by
  > the WG during the 25 August telecon [3], should read:
  >
  > 10.6 Prompt the user to confirm any form submission not explicitly activated by
  > the user. [Priority 2]
  >
  > and not, as it appears in the 27 August draft [4]
  >
  > 10.6 Prompt the user to confirm any form submission not explicitly initiated by
  > the user. [Priority 2]
  >
  > a one word difference, admittedly, but a significant one, i believe...

IJ
  I prefer "initiate" since that is a concept that applies more
  widely: changes that the user does not initiate may be disorienting.
  Also, the expression "activate a form submission" didn't ring well
  to me. "Submit a form" is the best - any way to rephrase it that way?

  Please let me know why you prefer "activate" to "initiate".

  > i also am uncertain about the status of the second proposed checkpoint, which
  > addresses event handled forms, contained in the post archived at (long URI
  > warning!)
  > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0139.html
  >
  > has it been dropped, or merely subsumed into 10.6?

  I may simply have missed it. Did we discuss it at the teleconf?
  If not, let's put it on the agenda for Weds.

  > could, therefore,  discussion of (or at least a vote on) the second proposed
  > checkpoint for GL10
  >
  > If the submission of a form is achieved via a script or an event handler,
  > prompt the user for confirmation before submitting the form content. [Priority
  > 1]
  > * NOTE: This checkpoint is intended to extend the user's control over automated
  > submission mechanisms, such as the HTML4 event handler "onchange"
  > * Refer also to Checkpoint 5.8
  >
  > be added to the agenda for the 1 September telecon?
  >
  > thanks,
  > gregory.
  >
  > PS: the proposal for the additional checkpoint for GL10 contains proposed
  > techniques, as well
  >
  > References
  > [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0151.html
  > [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999JulSep/0150.html
  > [3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/1999/08/wai-ua-telecon-19990825.html#minutes
  > [4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WAI-USERAGENT-19990827

  > He that lives on Hope, dies farting
  >      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
  > Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
  >    President, WebMaster, & Minister of Propaganda,
  >         VICUG NYC <http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/>

  Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814