Re: checkpoint 8.2

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:27:13 -0400
To: thatch@us.ibm.com
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
thatch@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Here is 8.2:
>
> Keep track of the user's point of regard in each view and restore
>  it when the user returns to the view.
>
> The link to "point of regard" at 8.2 is broken.

I'll fix it.

> There also should be a link to "view."

I'll add one.

> I think this (too) is too abstract.  The
> important idea is that when you move back to where you have
> been, the "point of regard" should be maintained.

Indeed, the whole idea of "return to the view" implies a history.
So, I propose the following simplification (I hope simplification):

   For user agents that offer history mechanisms, when the user
   returns to a previous view, restore the point of regard in the
   viewport.

And this note:

   For example, when users navigate "back" and "forth"
   among views, for each view they should find the
   viewport position where they left it.

>  The
> standard back and forward buttons of a browser are typical
> examples of changing views, I think.

So change the note to:

   For example, when users navigate "back" and "forth"
   among views, for each view they should find the
   viewport position where they left it.

> For a user agent that is presenting content for people who are
> blind this is an especially important feature. I wish it would be
> reworded so an average user agent developer could tell what
> it was saying!

Let me know if this helps.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814