From: Ramón Corominas [mailto:listas@ramoncorominas.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:13 AM
To: J. Albert Bowden
Cc: Bourne, Sarah (ITD); Homme, James; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Layout Tables With Summary Attributes

J. Albert wrote:

> pretty sure summary attribute is deprecated i use caption element
> instead

I think @summary and <caption> have very different purposes. @summary was
intended to "explain" the table structure so the blind user can more or
less understand how to navigate the cells. <caption> is just an
identification for the table, not for its structure.

There has been much discussion about deprecating @summary, but I think it
was not because of its usefullness but because there are other means to do
the same (although they are not so well accessibility supported, I guess).

Regarding the original question, I would say that a layout table with
@summary is conveying different "info and relationships" to the blind
user, so I would probably mark it as a failure of SC 1.3.1.

Cheers!
Ramón.