Re: Layout Tables With Summary Attributes

J. Albert wrote:

> pretty sure summary attribute is deprecated
> i use caption element instead

I think @summary and <caption> have very different purposes. @summary
was intended to "explain" the table structure so the blind user can more
or less understand how to navigate the cells. <caption> is just an
identification for the table, not for its structure.

There has been much discussion about deprecating @summary, but I think
it was not because of its usefullness but because there are other means
to do the same (although they are not so well accessibility supported, I
guess).

Regarding the original question, I would say that a layout table with
@summary is conveying different "info and relationships" to the blind
user, so I would probably mark it as a failure of SC 1.3.1.

Cheers!
Ramón.