Re: interpreting success criterion 1.3.1

From: Alastair Campbell <alastc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:54:07 +0000
To: Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>
Cc: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Adam Cooper wrote:

> Does anyone know of a taxonomy of ‘relationships’? Or is the definition of
> relationships as ‘meaningful associations between pieces of content’
> open-ended?

It's an interesting one, I generally think of that as "use the most
appropriate markup to represent the designs purpose".

The taxonomy of relationships is essentially the descriptions of markup in
the HTML spec, so it's a matter of knowing what each tag & attribute is
intended for. However, I wouldn't get too het up on the minutia, and would
take a steer from what is actually implemented in user-agents.

Compared to other success criterion, it can take quite a lot of time to
check through on a per-page basis!

It also goes hand in hand with 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value) which is the
equivalent thing for more functional sites, and the taxonomy I would use
for that is the HTML + WAI-ARIA spec.