Re: Aria role=alert on UL tag fails validation

Hi sailesh,

--

Regards

SteveF

On 24 November 2013 00:25, Sailesh Panchang <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> Thanks for responding.
> I did file 23888 and 23889

I closed 23889 as invalid as it should be filed against ARIA 1.1

> and added the following to 23888:
> Well I could make the validator error go away if I put the UL tag in a
> div and placed role=alert on the DIV tag innstead of the UL tag.
> I get the same functionality but that is more code that I have to
> insert needlessly. The role=alert does not change the semantics of the
> UL tag like role=navigation or role=menubar etc.

this is incorrect as per the ARIA spec and as per what is exposed in
accessibility APIs, depending on AT and browser used headings/lists roles
are ignored as the heading/list roles are overridden by role=alert

> So it does not make sense to insert a div tag or not use <ul role=alert>

testing shows otherwise.