Re: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

Hello, Bob and all,

Again, you are mixing concepts that have nothing to do with accessibility.

You are wrongly using the release date to prove your software is modern,
but the release date does not serve, because this software has no
support for new technologies. Today's Web includes rich interfaces,
social interaction and multimedia. You have a brand new bike that is not
prepared to be used on a highway.

Of course there is a gap between the developing world and the developed
one, but it has nothing to do with accessibility or WCAG.

If the Internet connection in Africa or Southamerica is bad, it is a
problem for everyone living there, not only for people with disabilities
living there. They don't have highways, and therefore it might be more
practical to use a bike or even walk. But that's true for all of them,
not only for people with disabilities.

If the problem is security risks, they are exactly the same for
everyone, not only for people with disabilities. If a psychopath uses
the highway as a shotting gallery, everyone will have the same equal
opportunities to be killed.

If the problem is the cost of a new computer capable of running certain
software, it is a matter of poverty, not of disability. Yes, in some
countries it may happen that people with disabilities have higher
poverty rates, but that is again another different issue which requires
policy and social solutions, not technical solutions. In this case,
adapted cars exist that cost the same as non-adapted cars.

WCAG is a technical document and it targets technical issues that relate
to the specific circumstances of people with disabilities. WCAG is not
intended to cover general problems that could affect everyone. This is
clearly stated in the first paragraph of the WCAG 2.0 abstract:

"Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 covers a wide range of
recommendations for making Web content more accessible. Following these
guidelines will make content accessible to a wider range of people with
disabilities, including blindness and low vision, deafness and hearing
loss, learning disabilities, cognitive limitations, limited movement,
speech disabilities, photosensitivity and combinations of these.
Following these guidelines will also often make your Web content more
usable to users in general."

Note the last sentence. The guidelines will often be good for everyone,
but it does not mean that they are aimed at everyone's needs.

So please stop mixing access problems with accessibility barriers.

Regards,
Ramón.