Re: Administrative interfaces

From: <deborah.kaplan@suberic.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:20:44 -0400 (EDT)
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Harry Loots wrote:

> 2. Laws on equality also apply to employees (and labour laws with respect to equal treatment will also apply).

Absolutely. What I point out to people when I'm talking about
this is where the ADA kicks in. Imagine there are two products, one
with an accessible back office interface and one with an
inaccessible back office interface, and an employee with
accessibility needs is hired -- or, as is common, a current
employee, through age, injury, or illness gains new accessibility
needs.. At that point under the ADA it will certainly be
considered "reasonable accommodation" to use the product with an
accessible back office interface.

I work in libraries, where a third of librarians are 55 or older,
and yet  there is a startling lack of accessible back office
interfaces. I actually had a vendor attempt to explain to me that
their product was accessible, because only the administrative
interface was completely inaccessible, so everyone with
accessibility needs "read: users) was being served.

Needless to say, we picked a different vendor :-) In fact, we
went with the open-source product which has excellent back-office
accessibility.

-Deborah
--
Accessibility Team Co-Lead