What you use

From: GF Mueden@ <Mueden@>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:54:21 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi All -

My worry is about what can be done for the common elements of eye
strength that fail with age, acuity, contrast sensitivity, and field
size.  I have another hazard, I am losing memory and the associated
ability to learn.   My greatest strength is habit and what I know, so I
stick with Windows (now Win7) and lament the loss of WinXP and OE which
served me well.

My poor acuity calls for 125% to be able to read program headings and
200% to read copy.   My eyes are a screen width from the screen and
demands a narrow column width.  As you know, I bleat about it when sites
don't let me have word wrap when i pull in the margins. Then I use
Readability (thanks to Dr. Cole) to get a narrow column.

My poor contrast sensitivity killed my ability to read print and am now
to get the NLS Talking Books service.  On the screen I had been using
Arial Black in black on a white screen.  Having switched to white on a
black screen I find that a skinny "Lucy" font (Lucinda ... ?) is better
because there is less white fuzz around the characters caused by my
cataracts.

For email I tried Outlook and hated it.  Now use Thunderbird which
leaves me with too few lines of message.  I may give up the 125% for
reading the headings in exchange for more message space.   It is quite
impossible for me to go to Verizon for email.  There I got one line of
message at 200%.

I appreciate sites that let me pull in the margins and give me word wrap
when I enlarge.  Recently I have visited sites that let me enlarge the
copy within a column, rather than the whole page: I love it.

Now heading my wish list is a way of suppressing the graphics that blind
me to anything near them.

Enough,  Who is next?   Ramon?   ===gm===  (George)