Re: improved select boxes - still accessible

Hi, I understand your point.

It's not a matter of the select action actually, but rather, the
programmatic functionality.

The problem that I've been seeing a lot lately, is a widespread assumption
that the use of ARIA will make something accessible.

This is not actually true; ARIA will enhance accessibility for a control
that is already accessible, but it can't make something that is not
accessible, accessible.

For example, in the case of the select controls,

However, literal keyboard focus is not being set on the various list options
when the keyboard is used to navigate between each select item. You can see
this by disabling CSS in your browser, then try to set focus on the link
that activates the drop down, activate it, then try using the arrow keys to
see where focus is set.

You will see that focus is not actually being moved between the various
options, making this control impossible to function from the keyboard, and
impossible to make a selection in the same manner as when you use the mouse
to click a select item like "West Virginia". If you refrain from using the
mouse, it won't work.

I've seen this before, where CSS is used to make something appear to be
happening, but in actuality, nothing is. This causes many problems, because
nothing that occurs in CSS for simulating the movement of focus is
accessible from the keyboard, and the use of ARIA in cases such as these,
only changes the feedback of an inaccessible control for screen reader
users, but doesn't make it any more accessible.