Re: Text-to-speech feature: a real help ?

From: <deborah.kaplan@suberic.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:58:14 -0500 (EST)
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I've seen a lot of people on  various lists over the last few years
speculating about website-specific tools such as this one --
primarily built-in Text-To-Speech but also  embedded tools for
changing font size,  styles, etc. There's a lot of speculation
and assertions about what user communities will be best served,
but are there any actual user studies? That seems the best way to
put the question to rest.

I admit that I am on the side of assuming (therefore making an
ass out of both me and my uming, I suppose) that these
browser-specific tools have extremely limited utility, but that's
an educated guess based on no user studies. If somebody can point
to a study (preferably not performed by the manufacturers of
these extremely expensive server-side products) showing evidence
to the contrary, that will settle the question.

-Deborah