RE: Costs of Accessibility?

Sailesh Panchang wrote:

> If the site contains many audio-video presentations,
> captioning and transcription may add to the cost and time.

Having a fairly good handle on this topic, I could suggest that with
sufficient volume, today's cost for transcription(*) to synchronized
transcripts is averaging about $1.25/minute - however small purchases can
run as high as $120.00/hour. (volume and stability/predictability in this
area is critical, as currently much of the work-force is on
stand-by/temporary availability)

(* at November, 2010)

JF
============================
John  Foliot
Program Manager
Stanford Online Accessibility Program
http://soap.stanford.edu
Stanford University
Tel: 650-862-4603

---
Co-chair - W3C HTML5 Accessibility Task Force (Media)
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Main_Page