Re: Accidental Example of Usability and Cognition.. (Was: 2.1.1 keyboard - clarification)

Roger Hudson wrote:

> I am not sure why Cindy was having problems with the text on the left edge
> of the page but I have now included a left-hand margin to the content area
> and hopefully this will help alleviate some of the problems. The default

Although I didn't look at the original, looking at the text that still
has no margin, I suspect that is a usability problem.

If you have windows normalised, it makes it difficult to find the
boundary between the left hand margin one the desired window and text on
overlaid windows.

With flat screen displays, there is no underscan, so slight errors in
the display timing settings can move edge pixels off the screen and
parallax effects can cause the screen surround to obscure them.

In both cases, the hard edge of the screen or the window, to a first
approximation, is like adjacent text, so requires more effort to find
the left hand margin when going to the next line.

> page text size is relatively large and can be resized with the browser.
> Also, it has a contrast ratio of 12.6:1. I aim to make pages that are
> accessible, not inaccessible.

Typically the best accessibility in these areas is achieved by doing
nothing, as the browser defaults are generally near optimum, but, of
course, most accessibility design is not about optimising accessibility
but about maximising designer freedom without actually breaching the
accessibility guidelines.

--
David Woolley