Re: identifying language changes

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:00:57 +0200
To: "WAI IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Hi Charles,

At 18:31 17/07/2008, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:57:08 +0200, Christophe Strobbe
><christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:
>>Several people provided arguments against marking up language changes
>>for each foreign name and word.
>If I recall correctly, the compelling arguments at the time were about
>braille requirements. I presume, however, that automatic language
>recognition can be applied about as successfully to braille as to voice -
>I wonder if anyone has any practical experience.

Thanks for these references.
I have always been mystified about why identifying language changes had
priority 1 (checkpoint 4.1) but identifying the primary human
language of a document had only priority 3 (checkpoint 4.3).

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999JanMar/0182.html is a
>thread about it.
>followed by
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999AprJun/0105.html and
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999AprJun/0128.html is the
>discussion in response to a Propose Recomendation comment (the process at
>W3C was somewhat simpler back then).
>is where there was a different checkpoint.
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/meetings/19990225.html#lang records the meeting
>that decided to make this a P1 requirement. It was added sometime after
>the pulication of http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0414
>... so if you're a history buff, you might enjoy searching for more
>information about what we thought we knew back then...

Best regards,

>Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
>     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg lærer norsk
>http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
tel: +32 16 32 85 51
Please don't invite me to LinkedIn, Facebook,
Quechup or other "social networks". You may have
agreed to their "privacy policy", but I haven't.