Re: identifying language changes

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:31:09 +0200
To: "WAI IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:57:08 +0200, Christophe Strobbe
<christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:

> Several people provided arguments against marking up language changes
> for each foreign name and word.

If I recall correctly, the compelling arguments at the time were about
braille requirements. I presume, however, that automatic language
recognition can be applied about as successfully to braille as to voice -
I wonder if anyone has any practical experience.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999JanMar/0182.html is a
thread about it.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999AprJun/0091.html
followed by
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999AprJun/0105.html and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/1999AprJun/0128.html is the
discussion in response to a Propose Recomendation comment (the process at
W3C was somewhat simpler back then).

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990217/#gl-abbreviated-and-foreign
is where there was a different checkpoint.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/meetings/19990225.html#lang records the meeting
that decided to make this a P1 requirement. It was added sometime after
the pulication of http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0414

... so if you're a history buff, you might enjoy searching for more
information about what we thought we knew back then...

cheers

Chaals

http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://www.opera.com