RE: Major UK bank wont listen

From: Simon Evans <simon.evans@rixcentre.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:53:16 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Julian Voelcker wrote:
"Some years ago they teamed up with the RNIB to try to bring cases against
large companies that didn't have accessible web sites in order to test the
DDA and try to introduce some case law which would then act as a milestone
for the other companies to enncourage them to ensure that their websites
adhere to the DDA."

I remember this at the time, but also that some companies ignored the
threats/suggestions and cases were never brought - I believe[?!] because
most legal minds were convinced that providing service equivalence (by
phone, minicom etc) meant that Web accessibility in itself wasn't
enforceable under the Act.

I'm scrabbling round looking for (UK) examples at the minute and would be
grateful if anyone has precedents (or cases that were settled pre-court for
plaintiff) which contradict the above - the only solid case I have the
details of is more clear cut and relates to an examinee who couldn't
effectively access an online test via screen reader.

Thanks,
Simon